Wednesday, August 1, 2012

I'm Just Wired That Way


Last week I had a wonderful time with our "adopted kids" from Tennessee.  Most of the week I wasn't able to go out with them because the air was just too heavy.  It was hot and it was humid.  I even didn't get to go to the beach.  On Thursday things had cooled down just a little bit so we rented a pontoon boat.  Since I was the only one who had ever driven a boat before - albeit 40+ years ago - I got to drive.  Actually it was on my bucket list.  I LOVE the water and I love boats.  I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, I was so excited.  

It was an overcast day but that was good because we wouldn't have to deal with sunburns.  The air and water were both very warm.  We headed over to Crab Island, which is just a little play area accessible only by boat and the water is pretty shallow, so you can jump off the boat and walk around.  All the kids, including Oliver, did just that.  I decided to stay on the boat and catch up on a little reading.  

After awhile, we decided it was time to go look for dolphins.  The guy at the marina showed us the best places to look and I kinda remembered them from when my sister and I went on the dolphin tour on waverunners.  As we were pulling up the anchor and batting everything down, I was assessing the clouds moving in and figured we might get a little wet.  As we started heading towards the areas for dolphins, the skies let loose and it started pouring.  I made a split second decision to head for the bridge for cover to wait out the storm instead.  We still had several hours left on the rental so we had time.   As we headed towards the bridge, the storm swelled and we got pelted with very heavy rain.  Monsoon type rain and quite honestly, it hurt.  The front gate of the pontoon swung open and a wave came crashing on the deck, soaking my purse and oxygen backpack and anything else it could find on the deck.  At that point, Jess turned a little green.  I was shouting above the noise of the rain and the motor that I needed a towel - quick.  I couldn't see.  The sunglasses were helping some to keep the water out, but some got behind the lenses anyway.  I got my eyes cleared just in time to manuever the boat between the pilings of the bridge.  The water was rough and the boat was tossing to and fro.  

Not once did I worry and I didn't even think of being afraid.  Even with the water raging, and it pouring, the lightening flashing and thunder louder than I've ever heard.  Actually it was quite the opposite.  I was peaceful and I was having FUN.  Yep, fun.  For just that little while, I felt a bit of the old me back.  The one who was able to make split second decisions that involved not only my safety but that of others.  I had complete control of the boat...  not bad for not having driven one for 40+ years.  The guys from the marina came looking for all their boats and pulled them all in to safety.  When they saw us waiting it out under the bridge, they just came by and waved, making sure I was ok.  I was more than ok, I was laughing and having a grand old time.  The kids were complaining about the rain but I told them it wasn't rain - it was blessings from heaven so they should soak it all in.  Somehow they didn't have the same take on it.  The girls did... they were laughing and playing, unfazed by the storm.  

Through it all God used it to show me a bit of how he made me.  I'm wired to have fun in the midst of the storm.  I'm sure I would have had a fun day if the weather had been picture perfect and I would have enjoyed getting in the water myself, but having the added bonus of the storm made my day.  I have NEVER been so wet having not gotten in the water.  I soaked in all the blessings that God was willing to pour out on me - even the little extra waterfall that we passed under from the runoff from the bridge.  All of it - every single drop.  

Some people panic in storms.  Not me, I embrace them.  As others head for cover, I'm with the other fools heading into the storm, usually with a camera in hand - much to Oliver's chagrin.  It never even crossed my mind to cut the day short and go in to the dock.  I knew the storm would pass, as every storm does.  We were safe...  I never would have endangered the lives of my "family".  I always joke around that if a hurricane is headed our way that I'll be down on the beach giving Jim Cantore a cup of coffee - but my family knows there's more truth than joke to me saying that.  I have come to the conclusion that I love storms.  I love the power and intensity of them and the calm that comes after they've passed.  My life has been full of storms and I've weathered each one and come out the other side.  Sometimes a little beat up and soaked but come through none-the-less.  As I sit here at the end of my life, looking back to all those storms, I have to smile because through them all, I always managed to have fun.  I smiled when others were fearful, I calmed those around me who felt helpless, I've encouraged others who have encountered similar storms, I've laughed sometimes at inappropriate times, but through it all I've remained true to finding the good in each one.  Because every storm does have something that's good in it.  It's a choice really.  I can let the storm have the advantage or I can look it in the face and decide to have fun in the midst of it.  I will choose fun every time because that's just how I'm wired.  Have a great day y'all.  ((hugs))  

1 comment:

  1. This is truly beautiful and inspiring. Thank You for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete